By Mrs. Margaret Price
Jon and Mindy Hopman hosted a dinner at the Head of School residence for members of the Head of School Student Advisory Council. Staff from the MVA Executive Team and the faculty advisors of the Head of School Leadership Institute were also invited. After a cornhole competition, a tasty meal, and an amazing sunset over the lake, the students gathered around to talk with Mr. Hopman about their hopes and fears.
The conversation focused on their hopes for the first year of college and their fears regarding leaving MVA and entering the next phase of their journey at colleges both far and near. Mr. Hopman listened carefully and engaged with students in dialogue, challenging them to reflect on the lessons and tools he hoped that the MVA prep experience had provided. In addition to sharing a few funny stories about his boarding school and college years, Mr. Hopman provided the following tips:
- Self-discipline is a difference maker when trying to overcome your fears.
- Get plugged in by trying new things, such as joining a club. This is a great way to make friends.
- Get organized and set priorities.
- Set daily reminders.
- Remember that other students are just as nervous as you are, but be sure to walk into every room with confidence.
- Call your parents often. They will enjoy hearing from you.
- Stay in touch with your MVA family to let us know how you are doing.
Good Luck Class of 2023 #youvegotthis