Montverde Academy Theatre Conservatory Earns 18 Applause Awards and a Jimmy Award
Saturday, June 5 ushered in the annual Applause Awards Ceremony at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts where Montverde Academy earned 18 Applause Awards in various categories. Modeled after the Tony Awards, the Applause Awards aim at recognizing outstanding performances from participating high schools in the Broadway League. Students also earned college scholarships for their contribution to their respective theatre programs with MVA’s Aidan Corrie earning $500, Ambria Benjamin earning $500, and Logan Lopez earning $1,000.
“As a theatre program, the Montverde Academy Theatre Conservatory strives to be recognized as one of the premier training programs in Central Florida as well as the entire state,” said Dean Bell, Montverde Academy Director of Arts.
“Recognition for our students and faculty from adjudication processes like the Applause Awards are great measures of the strength of our students and our program. We are incredibly proud of these results, and especially overjoyed for one of our most talented seniors, Aidan Fracker, to receive well-deserved recognition on a national level.”
Aidan Fracker stole the show earning a Jimmy Runner-Up Outstanding Performer Award from the National High School Musical Theatre Awards (NHSMTA). This recognition earns Aidan a chance to represent one of the 36 participating territories after coming in second out of 600 performers in the Orlando area.
“What an experience!” said Aidan Fracker. “Meeting with the top high school talent in Central Florida should be enough of a treat but getting to work and learn with them for two weeks and perform for such a large and important audience was quite the honor. Being awarded Runner-Up for the Jimmy’s was such a whirlwind moment and being met with an uproar of excitement was so humbling and inspiring. I am truly grateful for the memories made and the figures met through this program. I can’t wait to see where these new friends I’ve made are headed and what talent is showcased at next year’s ceremony!”
Applause Award winners:
- Dean Bell: Outstanding Music Director, Something Rotten!
- Christopher Payen: Outstanding Choreographer, Something Rotten!
- Tramaine Berryhill: Outstanding Set Design
- Roberta Emerson: Outstanding Director, Something Rotten!
- Kathy Wiebe: Outstanding Lighting Designer, Something Rotten!
- Kat Henwood: Outstanding Costume Designer, Something Rotten!
- Montverde Academy: Outstanding Technical Achievement, Something Rotten!
- Aiden Bjortvedt: Outstanding Actor
- Isabella Crider: Outstanding Actor
- Amelie Jaime: Outstanding Singer
- Lily Downs: Outstanding Singer
- Anthony Morehead: Outstanding Performer
- Caiti Fallon: Outstanding Performer
- Logan Lopez: Outstanding Performer
- Aidan Corrie: Outstanding Performer
- Sydney Barker: Outstanding Performer
- Aidan Fracker: Outstanding Performer
- Something Rotten!: Outstanding Musical
These wins are on the heels of an incredible MVA theatre season featuring Clybourne Park, Smokey Joe’s Cafe, Noise, Macbeth, and Something Rotten!.
“As the Director of Theatre, a lot of thought goes into the training of the students, the productions they will do, the parts, etc.,” said Roberta Emerson, Montverde Academy Upper School Theatre Arts Director. “It is thankless work that often keeps the best of us awake at night. But our students have worked very hard to accomplish amazing things this year and to see that the training, hard work, and energy are then awarded and acknowledged by the community is priceless. The experience of the Applause Awards has been truly exceptional this year and I am very proud.”