The Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) is the official governing body for interscholastic athletics in Florida. As a member of the FHSAA, Montverde Academy follows established policies. To be eligible to participate on varsity or junior varsity teams, all students must meet the following guidelines:
- Must be regularly enrolled and in regular attendance at Montverde Academy.
- Must maintain a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 unweighted scale.
- Must not have graduated from high school or its equivalent.
- You have four consecutive years of high school beginning with your entrance into the 9th year of school.
- Repeating a grade will limit your eligibility to play on a varsity or junior varsity team.
- Middle school students who participate on a varsity or junior varsity team have 3 consecutive years beginning with 6th grade. Once they enter 9th grade, they have the additional 4 years.
- Must not have turned 19 before September 1 or you are ineligible to participate that year.
- Must attend school for two consecutive semesters prior to participation on a team.
- Note: There are other policies regarding transfers and late arrival. These are applied as needed.
All students must have the following forms on file with Montverde Academy prior to participation in any form of athletic or team-related conditioning, tryout, or practice. These forms are valid for one year and are available with the matriculation paperwork.
- Form EL2: FHSAA Pre-participation Physical Evaluation full filled out and signed by a physician
- Form EL3: FHSAA Consent and Release Form Liability Certificate
- Form GA4: Filled out by students who are entering the Academy for the first time after 9th grade. This form requires notarization.
The FHSAA office reviews non-US Citizens before the student may participate in an athletic contest. The following documents need to be on file with Montverde Academy for FHSAA eligibility:
- Copy of student’s valid passport.
- Copy of the first page of the I20 signed by the student.
- Note: If the student is here on a Visa other than an F1, documentation of that Visa needs to be on file.
- All transcripts from the 8th year of school until arrival at Montverde Academy must be on file. These must be in the original language of the student’s country.
- Note: Some countries begin school in February or March. Students must attend during that time and submit a partial transcript to be eligible through FHSAA
The Dean of External Program Development registers the student and sends all documents to FHSAA. Due to the volume of paperwork received from all of Florida, it can take up to 2 weeks for the FHSAA to approve student eligibility so it is wise to have all of the documents in place in August or September.
The following documents need to be on file with Montverde Academy for FHSAA eligibility